The coming of steel changed Lanigan from a hamlet to a thriving Town. Lanigan became a divisional point between Yorkton and Saskatoon after the CPR mainline from Winnipeg to Edmonton was completed. It was in Lanigan that all the CPR steam locomotives took on coal and water from a huge tower storage with water coming 4 miles by pipeline from an endless flowing well.
Lanigan became an important railway divisional point, with CPR rail going to Saskatoon, Prince Albert, Yorkton, Melfort and Regina.
Just east of Lanigan is the Historic Carlton Trail, which early pioneers and traders traveled. Lanigan was incorporated as a Village in 1906, and as a Town in 1908.
In 1963, the Potash era began. In June 1963, the European based Alwinsal Corporation of Canada started its Potash mine 11 km West of Lanigan. The mine was in full operation a few years later. The richest and purest potash deposits in the world are found here.
Lanigan suddenly experienced tremendous growth. Its population, then 450 people, grew to a population of 1875 by the mid seventies.
In November 1977, the Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan officially purchased the mine and took over its management. In 2018 Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan and Agrium merged and became Nutrien.